Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Updates from Yesterday...





BELOW you'll find notes written by some students and adult leaders:
Kaylyn- It was a great first day. My group was able to go to the youth development center. It’s a building that helps Native American kids that have alcoholic parents or parents that don’t have jobs and they were super cute, they love to play games and color pictures they totally rocked. Then after we ate lunch (we ate on a grass patch between two roads) we went to the Retirement Center and played Bingo with old people. It was lots of fun and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

Karina- This is my first mission trip and so far it has been the best time I have ever had. Today we woke up at 6:00 and ate breakfast at 7:45 and the left. I first went to the youth development center and I meet a lot of really cool kids. Then we went to the retirement home and meet Hazel, she was very nice she was telling me stories about how women did not get as many jobs as men it was so cool! Now we are going to the Mount Rushmore (Monday. night) and I can already tell that that will be fun! I really think that today was an AWSOME day!!!!!!!!

Caleb- Today, I saw a miracle. No, not one of the Bible miracles, like fire and lightning and locusts, but a much cooler one. I worked at the Fountain Springs senior care center, and I had been hanging out with the people there, playing card games with them. It was amazing, how they would do so well at the game, they would just be so happy about their success, and then by their next turn, they’d have completely forgotten how they were supposed to play. But, they were just so happy about our being there, I could just see the bright glow on their faces as we played and helped teach them how to play. It was so amazing. As I reflect tonight on how the day went, I think of how amazing God really is, and how He really does still do miracles. He may not do flashy paparazzi wonders and signs, but He does another miracle: The miracle of the grateful heart.

Lora – We went to Fountain Springs Healthcare on Monday. When we walked in and started talking to the people sitting around in the center, their faces lit up! This is where you see how relationships are such an important part of what God wants out of us. We are sharing Jesus’ love by caring and spending time with people. They wanted to have someone to play cards with, or to wheel them out to the garden. Young boys in our group quickly learned how to feel comfortable with an elderly person. They took charge and relaxed with guiding a chair and talking with their partner. The growth in each teen was evident in the first day.
Thanks again for your prayers. More pictures are at the link on the left side of this page.

No comments: